Shadow of the Colossus, The Movie

Just when you thought it was safe to return to the cinema news spreads from an announcement made on Hollywood's Risky Biz Blog, ahem: 'Shadow of the Colossus to become a movie.'



The writer, Justin Marks seems to have a passion for the game but I really don't see that Hollywood is the right stage to tackle such a cult and sensitive game onto the big screen. Kevin Misher is set to be the producer but non of his previous films have blown me away, only the late Public Enemies, the story of John Dillinger starring Johnny Depp and directed by Michael Mann, was worth noting.

I'm torn between being fascinated to see what Hollywood will make of the Colossi themselves as I'm sure they will be magnificent, but the story will not be faithfully reproduced nor will the film harbour the same feeling of desperation and solitude. Perhaps it will but for all the wrong reasons.

If Hollywood does make it into a film I'm sure I will go and see it, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm almost certain I won't be though. I can't help but be a pessimist on this subject as Hollywood primarily is a money making business and does not pander well to an artists interpretation of any subject. I suppose only time will tell however and I will keep pessimism in check until I finally see the movie.

Related Links
Risky Business Blog
Kevin Misher
Justin Marks
Michael Mann
Johnny Depp
Buy Public Enemies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really think that it is wrong to make a movie based on any story (RPG) games. The games tell them better. I think the MGS movie will do poorly (to me) too. Obviously there will be many who will like them. But I prefer if they watched someone play the games first at least. Original-story games tend to be better as games than movies.

Redundant blogger said...

I know what you mean. It's almost as if the film makers don't even play the games at all, they just don't 'get' it.

There are a few decent films out there, I liked the Silent Hill movie (it wasn't brilliant) but a game like SotC deserves treating with sensitivity and respect. I only hope that Team ICO are consulted and that Sony has the integrity to protect the IP.