Pans' Labyrinth Director Talks Gaming



Guillermo del Toro, the director behind the dark and enchanting Pans' Labyrinth spoke to Edge Magazine recently. He describes his childhood influences and what he feels makes a great game just that. I really like his films which include the excellent Hellboy series and I value his opinion. I read with great interest the interview, but the defining moment for me was when he was asked, on the subject of current games:

What’s impressed you recently?

I love the engine of GTA IV. I’m not a big fan of the actual game: I’m not into break-ins or running people over, but the engine is incredibly beautiful, and the sandbox is very complete. The same goes for Medal of Honor Airborne, Call of Duty 4 or Army of Two. There are only two games I consider masterpieces: Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.


Good man Guillermo, I for one agree with your opinion, well apart from the bit about the Medal of Honour games and Army of Two, those games were absolute gash. It's refreshing however to hear that Ico and SotC are singled out as masterpieces. This helps reinforce the position that Team ICO are masters at what they do. Now if only he made a movie of either game...

Related Links
Guillermo del Toro talks to Edge Magazine
Buy Pans' Labyrinth
Buy Hellboy 1, 2

No comments: